The instructor: Charles Severance is a Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Michigan School of Information, where he teaches various technology-oriented courses including programming, database design and Web development.
This course aims to teach everyone to learn the basics of programming computers using Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course.
About the Course:
- This course is specifically designed to be a first programming course using the popular Python programming language. The pace of the course is designed to lead to mastery of each of the topics in the class. We will use simple data analysis as the programming exercises through the course. Understanding how to process data is valuable for everyone regardless of your career. This course might kindle an interest in more advanced programming courses or courses in web design and development or just provide skills when you are faced with a bunch of data that you need to analyze. You can do the programming assignments for the class using a web browser or using your personal computer. All required software for the course is free.
- Week One: Introduction - Why we program?
- Week Two: Variables and Expressions.
- Week Three: Conditional code.
- Week Four: Functions.
- Week Five: Loops and Iteration.
- Week Six: Strings.
- Week Seven: Files.
- Week Eight: Lists.
- Week Nine: Dictionaries.
- Week Ten: Tuples.
- Optional Topic: Regular Expressions.
Length: 11 weeks
Effort: 2-4 hours/week
Subject: Computer Science
Video Transcripts: Português & English